International Bahá’í Council
A nine-member body that served as the precursor of the Universal House of Justice
and was first appointed by Shoghi Effendi
in the closing months of 1950 and announced to the Bahá’í world in 1951. After the Guardian
’s passing, it was elected in 1961 by members of National Spiritual Assemblies
Its threefold function, assigned by Shoghi Effendi, was to forge links with the state of Israel, to assist the Guardian in erecting the superstructure of the Shrine of the Báb
, and to negotiate with civil authorities about the application of the Bahá’í laws of personal status for Bahá’ís residing in the Holy Land. After Shoghi Effendi’s passing, the International Bahá’í Council, at the request of the Hands of the Cause of God
, took responsibility for helping to maintain the World Centre
properties and helping to establish the Universal House of Justice.
Those whom Shoghi Effendi appointed to the International Bahá’í Council were Amatu’l-Bahá Rúḥíyyih Khánum
, Charles Mason Remey, Amelia Collins
, Ugo Giachery, and Leroy Ioas, who were all subsequently appointed Hands of the Cause of God, as well as Jessie Revell, Ethel Revell, Lutfu’lláh Hakím, and Sylvia Ioas. Members elected in 1961 by the National Spiritual Assemblies were Jessie Revell, ‘Alí Nakh
javání, Lutfu’lláh Hakím, Ethel Revell, Charles Wolcott, Sylvia Ioas, Mildred Mottahedeh, Ian Semple, and Borrah Kavelin.
The International Bahá’í Council ceased to exist upon the election of the Universal House of Justice in 1963.