Previous Top Next
Bahá’í Glossary
 
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
 
 
Well-established Path
See   Islám
Western Pilgrim House
See   Pilgrim House
Will and Testament of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá
A document that Shoghi Effendi says is “unique in the annals of the world’s religious systems”, the Will and Testament is the charter of the Administrative Order of the Bahá’í Faith.
Written, signed, and sealed by ‘Abdu’l-Bahá, the Will and Testament consists of three sections written at three different times between 1901 and the year of His passing.
The Will and Testament affirms “the two-fold character of the Mission of the Báb”, which was to bring an independent revelation from God and to herald the coming of another, greater revelation through Bahá’u’lláh. It also “discloses the full station of” Bahá’u’lláh as the “supreme Manifestation of God”, declares the fundamental beliefs of the Bahá’í Faith, establishes the institution of the Guardianship, and appoints Shoghi Effendi as Guardian. It provides for the election of the Universal House of Justice and defines its scope. It also creates the institution of the National Spiritual Assembly, provides for the appointment of the Hands of the Cause of God and prescribes their obligations, and exposes the conduct of the Covenant-breakers.
A-Z : Writing(s) ~ of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá
Volume : Will and Testament of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá
Will, Primal
See   Primal Will
William Sutherland Maxwell
William Sutherland Maxwell
Image copyright ©
Bahá’í International
Community
14 November 1874 — March 1952
Married to May Maxwell and father of Amatu’l-Bahá Rúḥíyyih Khánum
Sutherland Maxwell became a Bahá’í in 1909. An architect by profession, he designed the arcade and superstructure of the Shrine of the Báb on Mount Carmel. In December 1951 he was named a Hand of the Cause of God by Shoghi Effendi, in recognition of his long years of service.
The south door of the Shrine of the Báb was named after him following his death in 1952
Wilmette House of Worship
Mother Temple of the West
Architect: Louis Bourgeois
Wilmette House of Worship
Image copyright ©
Bahá’í International
Community
The corner stone for the House of Worship was laid by ‘Abdu’l-Bahá on 1 May 1912. In 1920, the design of Louis Bourgeois was accepted by the delegates at the Annual Convention of the Bahá’ís of Canada and the United States, with the ground being broken on 21 March 1921.
There were delays in the construction due to the Great Depression and World War II, the House of Worship not being completed till 1953. The Dedication subsequently occurred in several ceremonies over the period 1 and 2 of May, 1953.
In a letter dated 28 March 1943, Shoghi Effendi wrote of the Mashriqu’l-Adhkár in Wilmette: “…, the most hallowed Temple ever to be erected by the followers of Bahá’u’lláh, and the crowning glory of the first Bahá’í century, …” (This Decisive Hour, 108.1: pages 80-81)
See also : Mashriqu’l-Adhkár.
Wolf
See   Shaykh Muḥammad-Báqir
World Centre, Bahá’í
See   Bahá’í World Centre
World Commonwealth, Bahá’í
See   Bahá’í World Commonwealth
World Congress
See   Most Great Jubilee
World Crusade
See   Ten Year World Crusade
World Order of Bahá’u’lláh
Bahá’u’lláh’s “scheme for world-wide solidarity” that is “destined to embrace in the fullness of time the whole of mankind.”
The current Bahá’í Administrative Order is described by Shoghi Effendi as its “nucleus” and “pattern”, providing the “rudiments of the future all-enfolding Bahá’í Commonwealth.” (Shoghi Effendi, “World Order of Bahá’u’lláh”, page 146)
“In the course of its divinely propelled organic growth its institutions will expand, putting forth auxiliary branches and developing subordinate agencies, multiplying their activities and diversifying their functions, in consonance with the principles and purposes revealed by Bahá’u’lláh for the progress of the human race.” (Constitution of the Universal House of Justice”, page 8)
A-Z : World(s)(’s) ~ order
Previous Top Next